Schools closed in Kenya as more Coronavirus (COVID 19) cases are confirmed
President of the Republic of Kenya yesterday on Sunday 15th, March ordered for the immediate closure of all public schools as more coronavirus cases are confirmed.
This includes all Primary day and boarding schools effective Monday while all Universities and Tertiary Institutions will be closed effective March 20th 2020.
This comes after Kenya confirmed two more COVID-19 cases raising the number of infections to three. The first Coronavirus case was confirmed on Friday 13th, March 2020.
Addressing the nation, Kenyatta suspended travel of all persons coming into Kenya from any country affected by Coronavirus, except Kenyan Citizens and other residents.
President Kenyatta said the two patients confirmed having Coronavirus came into contact with the first 27-year-old Kenyan patient who tested positive and is now being moved into an isolation facility.
“The government is suspending travel for all persons coming into Kenya from any country with reported Coronavirus cases. Only Kenyan citizens and foreigners with valid resident permits will be allowed to come into the country provided they proceed on self-quarantine or in a government quarantine facility,” Kenyatta said.
“We have suspended learning in all our education Institutions with immediate effect. Consequently, at the facilities a phased approach Primary and Secondary day schools are to suspend operations from tomorrow, for those in boarding schools, the school administration is to ensure that students are home by Wednesday the 18th, March 2020 while Universities and tertiary Institutions are to close by Friday 20th, March 2020,” Kenyatta added.
Kenyatta also asked companies to allow their employees to work from home and to every foreigner who entered the country in the past 14 days has been instructed to self-quarantine.
In his remarks, the new measures will kick off in the next 48 hours for 14 days’ time period.
Mutahi Kagwe, Kenya’s Health Minister said that the two patients had sat next to the first 27-year-old patient on her way to Kenya from the US via London. One of the two patients is a Kenyan and the other is a dual Kenyan-British national.
Relatedly, just like Kenya, Ethiopia on Sunday reported more cases, after its first confirmed case on Friday. It’s said three people who had been in contact with the initial patient tested positive.
Two are Japanese citizens aged 44 and 47 and the other is an Ethiopian national aged 42.
“All of them work in Addis Ababa and had close contact with the first confirmed case,” a statement from the Health Ministry via a Facebook post.
In its emergencies measures, Ethiopia has blocked cruise ships and travellers coming from South Korea, Iran, China and Italy.
Rwanda confirmed its first COVID-19 case over the weekend and in the emergency measures it has closed down schools and churches including huge public gatherings.
Its national airline Rwanda Air has cancelled its flights to India, Israel and China.
While in South Sudan, temporary suspension of direct flights between South Sudan and affected countries have been implemented in a statement from the Ministry of Health.
As of today, 6,000 deaths have been recorded and 150,000 infections worldwide. In Africa, 25 countries have reported cases after nine countries in the past week.