Museveni donates 50% of salary to COVID-19
Museveni donates 50% of his salary to COVID-19 fight. FILE PHOTO

President Museveni donates 50% of his salary to the National Task Force on COVID-19 pandemic

President Yoweri Museveni has stressed that he will donate close to half his monthly salary to the National Task Force to help in the fight against COVID-19 disease in the country.

While responding to a callers’ question regarding why public servants in Uganda not take pay cuts and support the national taskforce, Museveni said that he is going to donate close to sh1.4million of his salary to help in the fight against the virus.

Museveni explained that most public servants including himself earn little money and as a result, they find it hard to donate funds and essentials especially during this time when the public demand is high.

Museveni pinpointed that he earns sh3.6m monthly from which the National Resistance Movement (NRM) takes a percentage leaving him with about sh 2.7million.

He said that he will request the First Lady Janet Museveni to adjust his budget so that about half of what he receives after the deductions is donated to help in fighting this pandemic.

“They pay me Sh3.6million; NRM takes 20% of it and what remains is about sh2.7million. I will ask Mama Janet to give 50 per cent of my salary to the task-force,” Museveni said.

Museveni donates 50% of salary to COVID-19
Museveni donates 50% of his salary to COVID-19 fight. FILE PHOTO

Museveni now joins a list of several individuals, companies and organizations that have made donations ranging from cars, money to food items and other essentials to the national task force to help in mitigating the spread of the coronavirus countrywide.

His donation comes at a time when Uganda still has a total of 79 confirmed cases with 52 of those reported to have recovered and have been discharged meaning the country is left with only 13 active cases and no deaths so far have been registered.

Uganda has not reported any new case in the space of three days and in the past two weeks all confirmed cases have been of cargo truck drivers entering the country via particular border entry points with non registered from members of the community.

While responding to the question regarding truck drivers, President Museveni Tuesday said that it would be suicidal to ban movement of these trucks.

The President said that stopping the trucks would deeply hinder production for many factories including those dealing in coffee, cotton, tea, cotton, milk, cement from exporting and transporting their goods to the markets.

And in return, this will leave many Ugandans with nothing to eat because the food supply will have been reduced.

Museveni rather suggested that the best solution would be to ensure that each cargo truck has only one occupant who in this case is the driver alone as opposed to the initial three.

Museveni said that this driver should be monitored and supervised effectively to ensure that he practices mobile quarantine and avoid mixing with the local people especially the s*x workers (prostitutes).

Relatively, he said the truck drivers should not be allowed to sleep in hotels or lodges but they should park their vehicles in gazetted areas and sleep inside them until the next day.