kyagulanyi denounces plans mass protests
Kyagulanyi has been under house arrest since January 14 when the country held its presidential elections. FILE PHOTO

Fred Enanga the police spokesperson said that until Kyagulanyi denounces any plans of mass protests, he will remain under police control.

The police Tuesday said that the National Unity Platform (NUP) party presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu alias Bobi Wine will only be set free once he denounces his plans of staging protests.

Kyagulanyi has been under house arrest since January 14 when the country held its presidential elections that saw incumbent Museveni once again retain the seat with more than 55% of the total votes.

The results have, however, since not been well received by a section of some Ugandans including NUP’s Kyagulanyi who insisted that they will not accept the vote outcomes because they were rigged.

Kyagulanyi who is currently under house arrest continues to say that he won the elections contrary to the results announced by the EC. 

Backing up his statement, he says that he has a pool of evidence including declaration forms from various polling stations that he will present before the court to seek justice.

READ  Police Warn Teachers Mocking and Discriminating Pregnant Pupils

With fears that he might also entice his supporters to protest towards the election outcomes, the police say that they have besieged his home to ensure this is not possible.

While responding to the question of when they hope to let free the NUP leader, Fred Enanga the police spokesperson said that until Kyagulanyi denounces any plans of mass protests, he will remain under police control.

Enanga explained that at first there were fears that the people would riot after elections but surprisingly the country has remained disciplined and peaceful and as a result, they cannot allow any individuals to distort this peace.

”Hon. Kyagulanyi as the president of NUP has not come out to denounce the plan of holding protests. They should come out to denounce the plans they have to organize mass protests,” Enanga said.

”Ugandans want to see very peaceful aftermath. When you want to instigate more protests to take more people’s lives and destroy properties, we can not allow that. We are mandated by the Constitution to prevent instability in the country. Our intelligence had picked information that there are threats of violence supposed to take place on January 15th, 2020.”

kyagulanyi denounces plans mass protests
Kyagulanyi has been under house arrest since January 14 when the country held its presidential elections. FILE PHOTO

Earlier on, the news was making rounds on various social media platforms of how Kyagulanyi together with his wife and an 18 months baby were starving in the house with nothing to eat.

READ  President Museveni sermons NRM ruling party to state house

However, Enanga rubbished the allegations citing that Kyagulanyi’s wife Barbie was granted passage out of the house to go and do some shopping but she insisted on wanting to go with her husband.

”Mrs Barbie wasn’t denied exit from and to her home. We granted her that passage and again she gave us a condition that for her to move to go to a supermarket she needs to move with the husband. We advised her that during this election aftermath we can’t allow her to move out with her husband,” Enanga added.