Uganda at 85 after a Masindi man and Kenyan truck driver tests positive for COVID-19
The Ministry of Health has confirmed two new COVID-19 cases bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in Uganda to 85.
The confirmed cases are of a 35-year-old Kenyan male truck driver who arrived via Busia border and a Ugandan male from Masindi district.
According to the health ministry, out of 2,454 samples tested at the Uganda Virus Research Institute, all 399 samples from the community tested negative for COVID-19.
“Two new COVID-19 cases confirmed today. The confirmed cases are of a Ugandan male from Masindi District, who was confirmed via the rapid assessment survey and a 35-year-old Kenyan male truck driver who arrived via Busia border. Our tracking system shows that he returned to Kenya,” a statement from the MOH read.
As of today, 27 truck drivers have tested positive for COVID-19 at particular border points of entry.
The health ministry said that 17 of these truck drivers have returned to their respective countries while 10 are still being admitted at different hospitals.
Currently, the Ministry of Health says it is conducting a rapid assessment survey among high-risk groups to establish community transmission of COVID-19. All samples from the survey are being tested at Makerere University laboratory.
Meanwhile, as the coronavirus pandemic first discovered in Wuhan continues to strike lives globally, Uganda is lucky to be one of the few countries that have since registered lesser cases.
Since it’s an outbreak in the country, there is no single death yet to be reported from it and the number of recoveries from the virus also exceeds the active cases.
So far, Uganda has registered 52 recoveries from the virus and they have all been discharged.
Globally, the novel coronavirus has now infected more than 3.2 million people and killed at least 233,000, by Friday according to Johns Hopkins University.
In Africa, the number of confirmed cases have also continued to rise in recent days with total cases in Africa already surpassing at least 34,000 by Wednesday.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Wednesday confirmed an increase in the number of cases from 33,000 to over 34,000 in the past 24 hours.
There have since been more deaths in Africa with countries such as Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Egypt, Algeria and Tanzania most affected.