Coronavirus COVID-19 in Uganda rise
Uganda has confirmed 4 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total of coronavirus cases to 264. FILE PHOTO

Uganda has confirmed 4 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total of coronavirus cases to 264.

Uganda’s Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed four new COVID-19 cases from 2,228 samples tested on Tuesday bringing the total of coronavirus cases to 264.

According to a statement from the health ministry, two of the new cases are from 500 community samples while the other two are from 1,728 samples of truck drivers.

“Four new COVID-19 cases out of 2,228 samples. Two cases are among truck drivers while the other two are contacts to previously confirmed truck drivers,” a statement from MOH read.

The two confirmed community cases include; a 28-year-old Ugandan male resident of Buikwe district and he is in contact with one of the previously confirmed cases of a truck driver.

The other is of a 26-year-old Ugandan male resident of Kyambogo, Kampala and he is also contacted to one truck driver. He was under quarantine at the time of confirmation and currently he is admitted at the China- Uganda Friendship Hospital, Naguru.

READ  Acting Guild President Arrested As Makerere Students Go On Strike.

Meanwhile, the other two cases are of Ugandan truck drivers and they arrived from Tanzania via Mutukula border. Both of them are currently admitted at Masaka Regional Referral Hospital. 

The new figure now brings the total number of COVID-19 cases in Uganda to 264 with 63 recoveries and no single death has yet been reported from the virus.

According to the Director-General Health Services, Dr Henry G Mwebesa as of today, there are 80 admitted COVID-19 patients and they are in a stable condition.

Besides, Dr Mwebesa said that the recent 36 confirmed COVID-19 cases of foreign truck drivers involving 17 Tanzanians, 15 Kenyans, three Eritreans and one Burundian have been deported back to their respective countries.

Coronavirus COVID-19 in Uganda rise
Uganda has confirmed 4 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total of coronavirus cases to 264. FILE PHOTO

During his 14th address to the nation on Monday, President Museveni released a plan on how they are going to tackle the problem of the truckers.

Museveni explained that the cargo trucks cannot be stopped from moving because it will pose a threat not only to the economy but also to many people’s lives countrywide however he admitted that something can be done.

“We have lost $1.6b from tourism. We may lose $1.3b from remittances from Ugandans living abroad. We can’t lose forex from our coffee, tea, milk products, etc in addition to failing to bring in raw materials,” President Museveni said during his Monday address.

READ  Bobi Wine reveals his plans on what is next

“That is simply a wrong debate. The debate should not be whether to allow the drivers or not. The debate should be on how these drivers should be handled. The medium-term solution can be railway but for now, Uganda cannot.”

As a way forward, the President said that they are going to carry out quick testing of all these truck drivers and ensure their results are released earlier with no single driver expected to depart before his or her results are out.

“The only problem that we are going to eliminate now is the delay in the testing. We shall now not allow any driver to enter Uganda or leave the border until their result is known,” he added.