- Best Mental Health Facilities In Uganda
Several mental health facilities are starting up in Uganda as African countries strive to achieve the Millennium Development Goals from 2015 and chart a new development blueprint. Then, health experts are gathering evidence from across the continent. To bring attention to an issue that needs more concentration is an issue for millions of people suffering from mental illnesses in Africa.
Experts say that investing in mental illness treatment in African countries would support development across the continent. The existing structure of the Millennium Development Goals has replaced health priorities at the national level. The MDG structure includes specific targets for diseases. Such as malaria and HIV/AIDS, placing them higher than other health problems on countries’ agendas.
Best Mental Health Facilities In Uganda
Our minds are so powerful that unless we have good mental health society does not progress, stifles creativity, and stops evolving. This is why it is important to have conversations that make people understand that it is okay if they are not well and in doing so begin the healing process.
According to the World Health Organization. In low- and middle-income countries (where Uganda is located like most African countries) 76% to 85% of people with mental disorders do not receive any treatment. These statistics are tragic and we have to start improving this situation. Wherever you are and whatever you are start learning and raising awareness about mental health. In light of the crisis of lack of support and awareness about it, the world needs all practical skills!
The following are some of the best mental health facilities that can be found in Uganda. These include the Butabika National Referral Mental Hospital, the Lacor Hospital, the Mulago National Referral Hospital, and the Gulu Psychiatric Hospital. Each of these facilities provides a range of mental health services, including diagnosis, treatment, and community outreach.
Butabika National Referral Mental Hospital
- Butabika Hospital is currently the only national mental health institution in Uganda.
- It was established in 1955. This hospital is famous for providing general mental health treatment and specializes in mental health patients.
- It is also a teaching hospital for a wide range of mental health professionals, from nursing to graduate students.
- Butabika Hospital also provides primary healthcare services to people from the surrounding area. As well as supporting other hospitals within the referral system. Also provides technical advice to the Health Services Commission and policy-making bodies.
- Most importantly, Butabika Hospital is a major center for research into mental health trends in Uganda and approaches to addressing the problem.
- Butabika Mental Health Hospital is located in Butabika, about 12 km east of Kampala city.
- It is the second largest hospital in Uganda, with 550 beds, although the number often ranges from 850-1000 patients.
- The hospital also handles a busy outpatient department with contact with around 350 clients per day. In both the general and mental healthcare fields.
Butabika National Referral Hospital is distinguished by its coverage of the following facilities:
- Advise the Health Services Commission and the Department of Health on mental health matters including policies, interventions, and human resource requirements;
- Monitor and supervise the issuance of guidelines and provide support to regional referrals and health centers within the mental health sector system.
- conduct research in mental health and related fields.
- Acting as an educational and training institution for mental health professionals across various qualifications and sub-specialties;
- Provide specialized mental health treatment to the general population and primary health care to communities surrounding the Butabika National Referral Hospital Foundation.
The Lacor Hospital
St Marie Lacour Hospital is currently one of the largest private and not-for-profit hospitals in Equatorial Africa. Receiving patients referred from all regions of Northern Uganda and beyond. Founded in 1959 in northern Uganda by Comboni missionaries under the direction of Piero Corti and Lucille Tisdale. It is one of the few structures offering hope for healing and care in one of the poorest countries in the world.
The Lacor Hospital provides the following facilities:
- The hospital is a 482-bed complex, medical university, nurse and laboratory training school. The center accommodates an average of 600 inpatients and their companions per day. It receives an average of 600 outpatients (totaling about 2,000 people per day)
- It provides mental health care from mental illness diagnosis to treatment and special services for its patients.
The Mulago National Referral Hospital
Mulago National Referral Hospital was established in 1913, and later the hospital was further expanded. Mulago Hospital has approximately 1,500 beds. Since the 1960s, Mulago Hospital has been a center of excellence in patient care, physician training, diagnosis of mental illness, and its treatment and research, But this was slightly hindered by the turbulent years of the 1970s and 1980s as the country’s health infrastructure broke down.
Some of the doctors of this hospital are home-trained and super-specialized. Thats why services are enhanced in various specialties like General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Paediatrics, Neurology, Intensity, and Oral Surgery, Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT), Endocrinology, Rheumatology, Dialysis, Accident and Emergency among other services. Also the treatment of any mental illness the patient is suffering from.
Gulu Regional Referral Hospital
- This hospital is made up of a team of more than 400 professional health workers. Who has extensive experience in the latest trends and technologies in the medical and mental health industry.
- This hospital is known for its affordable healthcare which has been loved by its clients for years. Whether it is disease prevention, care or treatment for mental illnesses, or more. They guarantee the best assistance in a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Gulu Regional Referral Hospital has the distinction of providing specialized healthcare services, medical training, research, and supervision support in general hospitals and low-lying health facilities to the people of the Akoli sub-district and the world at large.
These were some of The Best Mental Health Facilities In Uganda. So, if you are here to learn about these hospitals to seek help, you don’t have to wait anymore, just go for it and look after your mental health.