High court dismisses Lukwago’s case on the ban of campaigns by the Electoral Commission.
After a long wait, the Civil Division of the High Court delivered a verdict dismissing the case in which the city Lord Mayor Erias Lukwago sought to overturn the decision of the Electoral Commission to ban campaigns in some parts of the country.
Justice Musa Sekana said in his ruling that the Electoral Commission has jurisdictions to hear and dismiss such complaints before one runs to court. He also stated that the regulations were in the public interest to protect the public against the pandemic.
Immediately after the verdict, Lukwago called for a press conference to show his dissatisfaction with the ruling saying he is not yet done.
“This sets a very bad precedent enjoyment of the rights of freedom of assembly, freedom of association and the right to a fair hearing. This is a very bad precedent which we can’t not let go unchallenged,” Lukwago said.
Last month the Electoral commission banned physical campaigns in 13 districts stating that the districts had had a spike in the Covid 19 cases and therefore it was wise to ban the physical campaigns.
The affected districts included Kampala district where the Lord Mayor is contesting the run again and after the dismissal of his case, this means he has to find other alternatives on how to pass on his campaign message without campaigning physically.
The ban came at the time when most of the presidential candidates had not campaigned in the central region and the ban mostly affects the central region districts which have the highest registered voters and are taken to be opposition stronghold.
The affected districts include Wakiso and Kampala and many more.
Uganda heads to the polls this Thursday and it is one of the elections which is expected to have the highest voter turnout in the history of the country and youths are expected to participate more in this forthcoming election.