COVID-19 recoveries reach 82 as national cases breach 557 according to a statement issued by the Uganda Ministry of Health.
Since then, 82 patients have been discharged from different referral hospitals in Uganda after recovery from the deadly coronavirus, according to a statement issued by the Ministry of Health ( MOH) on 4 May.
Part of the statement, the Ministry also confirmed an additional 35 new cases of COVID-19 from 2,267 samples, bringing the total number of cases in Uganda to 557.
According to Dr Charles Olaro, who is standing in for Director-General of Health Services, 15 of the confirmed cases were from 1,412 samples tested at different points of entry, while the remaining 20 cases were from 855 samples of contacts and alerts.
“Of the 15 cases, seven are truck drivers who arrived from South Sudan via Elegu point of entry. Two truck drivers arrived from Kenya via Busia point of entry. Three cases are from Lira, Malaba and Orabo points of entry. Two members of security from Elegu point of entry and one is a truck driver who arrived via Ngomokomo, Gulu district.
“The 20 cases are contacts and alerts to the previously confirmed cases and they include seven from Kampala, five from Amuru, three from Mayuge, two from Kyotera and one from each of Wakiso, Dokolo and Amolatar districts,” Dr Olaro said.
Also, Dr Olaro said that 31 foreign truck drivers including 18 Kenyans, seven Tanzanians, four Congolese and two Burundians who tested positive for COVID-19 were returned to their respective countries of origin.
The new figure now brings the total number of COVID-19 cases in Uganda to 557 with no single death and so far, 82 people have since been discharged after they recovered from the coronavirus.
Meanwhile, the novel coronavirus continues to spread globally with latest figures published by Johns Hopkins University indicating that up to 6,675,011 cases have been detected worldwide and 391,848 deaths while 2,895,167 people have since recovered from the coronavirus as of May 5.
In Africa, the total deaths from the virus are now more than 4,505 with the confirmed cases also exceeding 158,030 with countries such as Nigeria on 11,516 cases, South Africa on 40,792 cases and Ghana on 8,885 cases still leading the chart of the most hit countries on the continent.
As many countries in Africa are continuing to impose drastic measures preventing the spread of the coronavirus, a few others more so those that have seen up sticks in COVID-19 cases have eased their lockdown measures to see their locals return to doing their normal works and businesses.
However, the World Health Organization (WHO) on warns that easing of the lockdown can make people forget about the existence of the virus and as a result, they reminded countries that the virus will only be defeated in case there is no single case globally.
“On upticks (in cases), yes we have seen in countries around the world – I’m not talking specifically about Europe – when the lockdowns ease, when the social distancing measures ease, people sometimes interpret this as ‘OK, it’s over.
“It’s not over. It’s not over until there is no virus anywhere in the world”, WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris said during a U.N. briefing in Geneva on Friday, May 5.