In Byabakama’s letter, he said that both candidates (Bobi Wine and Amuriat) have been summoned on Monday, December 14, 2020, at 10 and 11 am respectively to respond to allegations.
The Electoral Commission (EC) has summoned two presidential candidates including the National Unity Platform presidential flagbearer, Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu alias Bobi Wine and the Forum for Democratic Change’s presidential flag bearer, Patrick Oboi Amuriat for defying guidelines.
In reference to statements dated December 10, 2020, the EC chairperson, Justice Simon Byabakama said that both presidential candidates have persistently breached the elections guidelines and the standard operating procedures from the health ministry aimed at fighting the spread of the Coronavirus.
Byabakama noted that because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the EC came up with guidelines to contain the further spread of the virus.
Among others, they directed candidates to hold processions of not more than 200 people and ensure they observe proper SOPs including washing hands, maintaining social distance and wearing of masks.
However, in Byabakama’s letter, he identified that the two opposition candidates have on notable occasions continued to violet these guidelines.
“In spite of the existence of the said guidelines, you have have continued to ignore and/or negated observing the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) by holding mass rallies in contravention of the established Standard Operating Procedures intended to control the spread of the Coronavirus, thereby risking the lives of the people,” part of Byabakama’s statement read.
As a result, he added that both candidates (Bobi Wine and Amuriat) have been summoned on Monday, December 14, 2020, at 10 and 11 am respectively to respond to allegations.
Earlier this week in an interview with CNN’s Amanpour, Kyagulanyi said that campaigns are emotive and easily attract large groups of people.
He reminded that before the campaigns they requested the EC to postpone the elections until such a time when it is safe but their requests were turned down.
Here is part of the statement
“The above refers; and the Commission makes further reference to its engagements with you and the National Unity Platform Officials on 5th, 16th of November, 2020, and 2nd December, 2020, regarding your campaign activities.
As you may be aware, in response to the World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines on the management of the Covid-19 Pandemic, the Government of Uganda, through the Ministry of Health issued Regulations to manage the said Pandemic.
The Electoral Commission, while issuing the Election guidelines, and after consulting with the Ministry of Health, adopted the measures provided in the Regulations to control the spread of the disease which were issued to all stakeholders intending to participate in the General Election activities.
You may recall, in your meeting with the Commission on 2′ December 2020, you were reminded to comply with the said guidelines to protect the Citizens of this Country from Covid-19 infection including yourself as a candidate.
Despite what the Commission communicated in the above-stated meeting, and the press communications on the matter, you have continued to ignore and/or neglected to observe the Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) by holding mass rallies and processions, contrary to established guidelines thereby risking the lives of the people.
In the process this has resulted into unwarranted occasional confrontations with security personnel, a case in point is mass rallies held at Iganga on 17th November 2020, and Koboko on 8th December 2020, among others, and processions en route to your campaign venues.
In light of the foregoing, you are invited in person, to meet the Commission on Monday, 14th December 2020, at 10:00 am to respond to the above issues and chat a way forward.