The Kawempe North MP-elect, Muhammad Ssegirinya has been further remanded up to April 15th after issues of hearing out his bail application collapsed.
Muhammad Ssegirinya, who will be the next Member of Parliament for Kawempe North, was further remanded into custody until April 15th, after the hearing of his bail application, he collapsed.
Ssegirinya was arrested on March 22 at Mini Price in downtown Kampala as he attempted to lead a protest demanding the release of National Unity Platform (NUP) supporters who were reportedly detained falsely before, during and after the January general elections.
Ssegirinya who has since spent more than two weeks on remand battling charges of inciting violence had applied for bail but saw his request denied.
The Buganda Road Court ruled that Ssegirinya’s lawyers had contradicting submissions which made it difficult for them to make a ruling.
“The defense didn’t take any reasonable practical step by getting any disclosure. The lawyers have not shown readiness to proceed, one says they are ready, the other pulls it down,” the Buganda Road Grade one Magistrate, Gladys Kamasanyu said.
Ssegirinya’s Lawyers contradict
Counsels Abdul Kiryowa told the court that they had prepared for only bail application and not hearing of the case. While Shamim Malende, who is also Kampala Woman MP-elect, in her submission told the court that they were ready to hear the evidence of prosecution witnesses but would prepare for cross-examination in the next court sitting.
Both lawyers revealed that however many courts had prepared this day for hearing of the case with the bail application, they were only ready for bail since the prosecution had not served them as required by the law.
“On several occasions we tried to access the prosecution for the service but all in vain,” Ms Malende disclosed to the Magistrate.
However, Ms Joan Keko, the State prosecutor dismissed the defence’s claims and said the MP’s lawyers have never approached her yet she’s always in her office daily before she presented in court three witnesses to pin Mr Ssegirinya for inciting violence.
Meanwhile, Ssegirinya has been on remand for close to two weeks now on charges of inciting violence.
UNEB said that Ssegirinya submitted documents belonging to Sarah Nampiima at O-level while at A-level, he submitted documents that belong to Maureen Nabadda.
“We have checked in our records and our findings are as follows; Candidate U005/054(2017) is Nampiima Sarah who sat at Mengo secondary school, not Ssegirinya Richard sitting at Pimbas secondary school,” Peter Anywar said in a letter last month.
“The candidate U005/754 is Nabadda Maureen who sat at Mengo Secondary school not Ssegirinya Richard at Pimbas secondary school,” it added.
Ssegirinya however in an interview, days before his arrest rubbished the false allegations. He said he will only reveal his true documents once the court requests them.
“I am very clever, I have my papers and would have put them out already, but I know those accusing me have no evidence so I am waiting for them to show their evidence, then I will also reveal mine,” Ssegirinya said then.
“They want me to put out my papers then they use them against me. I am very alert, and will not fall for their game. They have done so many things but have failed because I am not easily cowed,” he added.