Museveni to address the country next week
Museveni will next week address the country about government’s next course of action in fighting COVID-19. FILE PHOTO

Museveni to address the country next week as Uganda’s Covid-19 deaths increase.

President Museveni Wednesday mentioned that he will next week address the country about government’s next course of action in fighting the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

‘’When I speak next week, I will give you more details,’’ Museveni stated while at the opening of the National Resistance Movement (NRM) delegates conference held at State House on Wednesday.

The President, however, was a critic of politicians and other leaders who have in recent weeks told wrong and misleading information regarding the COVID-19 situation in the country. 

He said that such propaganda has caused many Ugandans now to start ignoring guidelines from the MOH aimed at controlling the spread of the virus.

“For four months, nobody died. People said the scientists are locking us down to make money. Well, on July 21st we had the first death. We have now lost a total of 15 people. You remember people saying this disease is not killing people,’’ Museveni said.

‘’I hear some politicians saying that there is no Coronavirus. If we get evidence, we shall prosecute them,” he added before advising Ugandans more so those in Kampala to be very mindful of their lives first in everything they do. 

“People in Kampala have given up in the fight against Coronavirus. They have relaxed so much and now the virus is advancing very fast in Kampala. Everybody should know that we have no alternative. We shouldn’t be short-sighted to think about jobs, businesses and forget life.’’

This comes at a time when the Ministry of Health on Wednesday confirmed an additional 43 new COVID-19 cases from tests done on 17 August 2020 pushing Uganda’s total case count to 1,603.

Of the 43 confirmed cases, 32 were from the alerts, five cases were truck drivers while five were contacts to the previously confirmed cases and one was a returnee from Kenya.

Museveni to address the country next week
Museveni will next week address the country about government’s next course of action in fighting COVID-19. FILE PHOTO

Regarding the 32 alerts, 18 were from Kampala, seven from Namisindwa, five from Arua, four from Omoro, Gulu, Kasese and Buikwe districts. The five contacts to the previously confirmed cases included three from Kampala and two from Wakiso district.

Of the five truck drivers, four arrived from Kenya via Malaba border. One arrived from South Sudan via Madi Operi. 

As of today, a total of 1,165 people have been discharged from various hospitals countrywide after they recovered from the virus while 15 have since succumbed to the virus.