Stabbed Bewatte Betungura Is Buried
Bewatte Betungura, Who Was Killed During a Mak Guild Campaign, Is Buried. PHOTO/MONITOR

Today, a Uganda Christian University (UCU) student allegedly stabbed to death during Makerere campaign rallies on Thursday was buried.

The Uganda Christian University (UCU) student who was on Thursday allegedly stabbed to death during the guild campaign rallies at Makerere University was buried today.

Bewatte Betungura, 25, who was a law student at the UCU-Kampala campus was buried amidst tears of hundreds of mourners who thronged Malere Village, Biguri Sub-county in Kamwenge District on Saturday.

The deceased was a son to a one Benson Mucunguzi, a school head teacher of Kyabenda Primary School in Kamwenge. 

Addressing mourners, Mr. Mucunguzi suggested government should ban political party politics at learning institutions.

Mucunguzi also rose to his son’s death is a great loss to the family because they had invested a lot of money in him in overseeing that he completes his law course.

“I had to look for all the money to ensure that my son achieved his childhood dream of becoming a lawyer. I have been spending about Shs5 million per semester but now his life has been cut short,” Mucunguzi said in sorrow.

Ms Jesica Natukunda, the deceased’s mother told mourners that her son had promised to become the bread winner once he completes his studies before his dream was cut short.

“This is a great loss to the family. He was always telling us that our family life will be better after completing his university studies,” Natukunda said.

How Bewatte Betungura died

Bewatte was on Thursday evening stabbed to death following chaos that erupted between supporters of the National Unity Platform (NUP) and Forum for Democratic Change Party (FDC).

He reportedly died at around 8:30pm that day during the final political campaigns leading to the guild elections that had been slated for today, Friday 15 July, 2022.

Eyewitnesses told Daily Monitor that a scuffle ensued between supporters of the NUP camp led by their guild candidate Lawrence Alionzi alias Dangote and FDC camp led by their candidate Justus Tukamushaba after supporters of the latter attempted to force their way through the entrance to the university Rugby Grounds where the NUP candidate was holding his last rally.

“We had gathered at the Rugby Grounds to listen to Dangote when supporters of the FDC candidate tried to force their way in. They started pelting stones and broken beer bottles at us. Police intervened and fired teargas forcing students to flee. Several students, including myself were injured,” Ms Lillian Ayot told Monitor.

Another student, Ronald Amanya said he saw someone stab a colleague with a broken bottle before he (victim) started bleeding profusely from the neck.

“This boy was in the NUP camp but he kept exchanging words with some people from the FDC camp. Someone emerged from the crowd and stabbed him with a broken bottle in the neck and disappeared into the crowd,” he narrated.

The victim who was bleeding profusely is said to have run to Nsibirwa hall bathrooms to clean the blood but it was too late.

“We tied a cloth around his neck but it couldn’t help. We had to rush him to the University hospital but he had lost a lot of blood. He was pronounced dead moments after we arrived at the hospital,” he added.