Uganda records 23 COVID-19 cases
Of the confirmed 23 new COVID-19 cases in Uganda, 19 are truck drivers who arrived via Elegu border. FILE PHOTO

Of the confirmed 23 new COVID-19 cases in Uganda, 19 are truck drivers who arrived via Elegu border.

Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed 23 new COVID-19 cases from a total of 1,187 samples tested on Saturday countrywide bringing the total of cases in Uganda to 198.

Out of a total of 1,187 samples tested on Saturday, 851 were samples tested of truck drivers at particular entry points while 336 samples were taken from within the community.

According to the Director-General Health Services, Dr Henry G Mwebesa, 19 of the new cases are of truck drivers tested via border points of entry while the other four cases were contacts to the previously confirmed cases of truck drivers.

Dr Mwebesa however, said the four cases confirmed from within the community were under quarantine at the time of the test.

“23 May 2020, 23 new COVID-19 cases confirmed. 19 new cases are truck drivers who arrived via Elegu and Busia while 4 cases are contacts to previously confirmed truck drivers,” Dr Mwebesa said.

“A total of 1,187 samples were tested. 851 samples via the border points of entry and 336 samples taken from the community and contacts.”

Uganda records 23 COVID-19 cases
Of the confirmed 23 new COVID-19 cases in Uganda, 19 are truck drivers who arrived via Elegu border. FILE PHOTO

Meanwhile, the health ministry yesterday handed over 38 positive foreign truck drivers to their respective countries of origin bringing the total number of those that have since been deported to 206.

Since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, Uganda is among the few countries globally that have recorded fewer cases more so among its community members as most of its cases are from truck drivers.

With now a total of 198 confirmed COVID-19 cases, Uganda is yet to record any deaths from the virus and so far the health ministry says 68 people have been discharged from various Referral hospitals after they recovered from the deadly coronavirus.

During his 14th address to the nation, President Museveni said the health workers countrywide have played a great role in detecting and treating the infected patients earlier enough and as a result there are no deaths.

He said the doctors more so those at the forefront in treating the COVID-19 patients have made sure the patients are given proper medication earlier enough so that they do not reach the extent of losing their breath and needing to be admitted in the intensive care units.

“I, therefore, congratulate our health workers and doctors who have detected these cases and treated them,” Museveni commended. We are now more prepared to fight the deadly coronavirus, with the efforts by ‘our scientists’ to develop a way of killing the virus with ‘dedicated medicine’ underway,” Museveni said on Monday.