Uganda has confirmed 40 new COVID-19 cases
Uganda has confirmed 40 new COVID-19 cases as President Museveni eases the country’s lockdown measures. FILE PHOTO

Uganda has confirmed 40 new COVID-19 cases as President Museveni eases the country’s lockdown measures.

The Ministry of Health (MOH) has confirmed 40 new COVID-19 cases from 1, 319 samples tested on Monday bringing the total number of cases in Uganda to 457.

All confirmed cases are Ugandans with 23 of the confirmed cases coming from 993 samples tested at various entry points while 17 are from 326 samples of contacts and alerts.

“20 of the confirmed cases of truck drivers arrived from South Sudan via the Elegu border. Two other cases part of the truck drivers arrived from Tanzania via Mutukula border while one truck driver arrived via Padea point of entry.

“17 confirmed cases part of the contacts and alerts include; two from Gulu, one from Jinja, three from Amidat, three from Wakiso, two from Amuru, one from Yumbe, two from Zombo and three from Nebbi,” a statement from the Ministry read.

READ  Museveni allows Boda bodas and bicycles carrying cargo to operate until 5 pm

According to the Director-General Health Services, Dr Henry G Mwebesa, 31 foreign truck drivers including 11 Tanzanians, 19 Kenyans and one Eritrean who tested positive for COVID-19 were handed over to their respective countries of origin.

This now brings the total number of COVID-19 cases in Uganda to 457 with no single death and so far, 72 people have since been discharged after they recovered from the virus.

Currently, the MOH says that there are up to 303 admitted COVID-19 patients who are receiving treatment in 15 Referral Hospitals countrywide.

Since the outbreak of the deadly coronavirus, Uganda is among the few countries globally still having a straight curve meaning they have not registered a single death from the virus as well the confirmed cases are relatively few as compared to those in other countries.

Uganda has confirmed 40 new COVID-19 cases
Uganda has confirmed 40 new COVID-19 cases as President Museveni eases the country’s lockdown measures. FILE PHOTO

While addressing the nation yesterday on the next course of action in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic, President Museveni said the lockdown has played a major role in preventing the widespread of the virus countrywide.

Museveni who was first to show the graph reflecting the case count in other countries said because they paused several activities in the country earlier enough, they have been able to record fewer infections and no deaths as compared to the numbers in other countries.

READ  Postpone 2021 Elections Until the Situation Is Safe, Tumukunde Asks Electoral Commission

He said the lockdown was not imposed to stop the virus but rather to help the country better understand the hotbed regions and all those areas most susceptible to the virus.

“It is now evident where the virus is coming from because more than half of our cases are coming from entry points,” the President said during his Monday address to the nation.