Police director of Operations Asuman Mugenyi quits after serving for over 32 years.
The Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIGP) Asuman Mugenyi has quit police were he has served for over 32 years in service. Mugenyi has been the director of Operations Services in the Uganda Police Force.
The last day of AIGP Asuman Mugenyi in office was on Friday 29 May and he handed the office back to John Nuwagiira, his deputy Senior Commissioner of Police.
Earlier on reports had indicated that Mugenyi had been fired and other reports were saying he had been suspended but the police mouthpiece Fred Enanga clarified and said that Mugenyi had served his contract.
“AIGP Asuman Mugenyi simply just observed his contract,” Fred Enanga said.
Asuman Mugenyi has become the 5th AIGP to quit police in the last three years.
A few months ago the director traffic and road safety Dr Steven Kansiima was forced out of office after his contract expired and the Inspector General of Police Martin Okoth Ochola did not renew his contract.
President Museveni only renewed contracts for the other three but not for Dr Steven Kansiima.
Last year in November the director of logistics and engineering AIGP Godfrey Bangirana was forced out of office by High Court after deifying the Inspector General’s directive to vacate office when his contract had expired.
Elizabeth Muwanga who was the director welfare and production and Fred Yiga who was the director of Interpol both retired after waiting for close to two years for their contracts to be renewed but is futile.
The president did not respond to the request from the Police Authority to renew the following AIGP contracts; Grace Turyagumanawe (Peace Support Operations), Asuman Mugenyi (Director-Operations), Haruna Isabirye (Police attaché at Uganda Embassy in Washington), Lemmy Twinomugisha (former Director in charge of Welfare), Geoffrey Bangirana (former Director in charge of Logistics and Engineering) and Dr Steven Kasiima (former of Director in traffic and road safety).
AIGP Asuman Mugenyi retires at a time when his name has been taken to ICC Court over the military raid that happened in November of 2016 on the Rwenzururu Kingdom that saw more than 120 people killed and over 150 arrested.
AIGP Mugenyi was dragged to court alongside the commander of UPDF Land Forces, Lt Gen Peter Elwelu. These two were taken to ICC by the Kasese leaders seconded by human rights.
Several bodies of young men and women were killed in Kasese and many bodies were buried unrecognized.