KCCA FC 1 - 1 draw against Petro de Luanda

Coach Mike Hillary Mutebi says KCCA FC was the better side despite failing to qualify for the group stages in CAF Champions League

Kampala Capital City Authority Football Club (KCCA FC) head coach, Mike Hillary Mutebi has praised his players’ performance in their one-all draw against Angola side, Petro de Luanda in the African Champions League qualifiers.

Petro de Luanda progressed on away goals’ rule following a goalless draw in the first leg against the Uganda Premier League defending champions while in Angola.

Despite failing to reach the group’s stages, KCCA’s gaffer is optimistic that his side comprised of so many youngsters is moving in the right direction.

Mutebi also added that KCCA still has another chance for continent football although the Champions League is the biggest in African football.

“There were issues during the game but those are the things you can excuse as kids are learning. I am very fine with the performance. We continued playing to force ourselves to win the game but unfortunately we didn’t,” Mutebi said at a post-match interview.

He added,

“We are disappointed that we didn’t go to the group stages but we played well and created more chances than them and that cannot be taken away. I am comfortable we have another chance to stay on the continent.”

On a day that KCCA came into the game knowing that only a win could do them favour past their opponent’s things didn’t work out as expected as both teams settled for the level of pegging.

KCCA FC 1 – 1 draw against Petro de Luanda

In a game played at the wet StarTimes Stadium, Lugogo the visitors took the lead in the 35th minute of the first half.

Forward Isaac Mensah for Petro de Luanda Football Club was brought down in the 18-yard box by KCCA FC goalkeeper, Charles Lukwago for the centre referee to point to the spot.

The resultant spot-kick by the visitors’ captain, Ricardo Estavo sent their small number of fans at the stadium into a frenzy as their team took the lead at Lugogo and finished the first half in the driving seat of the game.

KCCA returned well charged to bounce back into the game, this also saw Sadat Anaku and Simon Sserunkuuma introduced to the pitch.

Later in the 57th minute, that moment came after Mustafa Kiiza scored off a Sadat Anaku assist to give some hope to both the manager and the fans.

Earlier before the game, Coach Mutebi was confident that home advantage would be key for them yesterday but it didn’t work out as expected as the game ended 1-1 at 90 minutes.

As well, the chance to scoop around $550,000, an equivalent of two billion shillings had they qualified for this year’s CAF Champions League group stages remained a dream for the Kasasiro Boys.

By John Dalton Kigozi