The Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) has issued revised guidelines on the reopening of Arcades.
The Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) has issued a list of over 30 guidelines that arcade owners have to meet to be allowed to re-operate.
Following the outbreak of the deadly coronavirus, the government earlier in March called for the suspension of many activities including closing the arcades and other shopping centres to help fight the spread of the virus.
For now, more than two months, business in these places have been left on a standstill with no hope of reopening anytime soon.
During his last address to the nation, President Museveni said arcades attract big numbers of people which makes it hard to practice social distancing. He said in case they are left to re-operate now, they might create favourable grounds for further infections.
Museveni advised the arcade owners to remain patient as the government still tries to revise measures to see them re-operate but adhering to the necessary guidelines in place to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19.
Meanwhile, in the wake of events, KCCA has released an inspection checklist to properly monitor arcades that are defying and non-complaint to the set COVID-19 Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
KCCA says that only arcades that are in a position to adhere to all these necessary SOPs will be allowed to reopen.
Here is the Inspection Checklist
1. The premises and access ways are generally should be clean, hygienic and not blocked.
2. The corridors and access ways should be free of any obstruction, stockpiles and temporarily structures.
3. Is there adequate natural lighting and ventilation in the premises?
4. The arcade should have dedicated entry and exit points?
5. All entry and exit points should be manned by dedicated persons at all times.
6. Ensure that there is Closed Circuit Television Camera at each Entry, Exit and level.
7. Is there body temperature screening of clients and attendants using functional infrared thermometers?
8. Are shoppers, customers and shop attendants using recommended face masks?
9. Are there visible notices on the use of masks, hand hygiene, social distancing and respiratory hygiene?
10. Are all the entry points strictly manned? Show the number.
11. Is there a dedicated isolation room?
12. The arcade or mall should be connected to the national water supply line.
13. Is there a functional hand hygiene station with a receptacle for wastewater collection placed at the entrance to the arcade? Indicate the number available.
14. Hand washing facility has water and soap.
15. Hand sanitizer is used at the hygiene station.
16. Hand wash station surrounding is well-drained.
17. Does the arcade have functional toilets with privacy? If yes indicate the number of stances for each sex.
18. There are functional handwashing points with water and soap near the toilets.
19. The toilets are generally clean.
20. There are sufficient facilities/tanks for the storage of water on the premises?
21. Management has registered all tenants and attendants operating on the premises.
22. The management of the arcade has appointed compliance officers.
23. Compliance officers have been trained on the guidelines.
24. There is a monitoring checklist for the compliance officers.
25. Management has adequate stocks of detergents/soap, sanitizer or disinfectants like jik, toilet paper, and related consumables to run for two weeks.
26. Do shop owners have sanitizers to disinfect their counters?
27. The arcade has dedicated cleaners throughout the operation time? Comment on the number.
28. The cleaners are provided with adequate personal protective equipment( overall, gloves, masks, boots).
29. There are adequate dustbins with tight lids for storage of solid wastes and hazardous wastes on the premises?
30. Is liquid waste or grey water properly disposed of in the appropriate drains?
31. Is there a valid memorandum of understanding with authorized garbage collection company?
32. Are there social distancing marks/labels (2 metres apart) provided in the shops?
33. Are there strings or similar material to enhance physical distancing of at least 2 meters between the shop attendant and the clients?