Minister of Education dead year schools reopen
Minister of Education earlier this week pinpointed that there will not a be a dead year with students expected to return to school in different phases. FILE PHOTO

A statement from the Minister of Education earlier this week pinpointed that there will not a be a dead year with students expected to return to school in phases.

Earlier this week, the government okayed the decision to have all schools and institutions of learning reopen for only their final year students from September 20.

The decision was taken following a meeting between the national Covid-19 taskforce and President Museveni on September 01 according to a statement from Senior Presidential advisor, Dr Monica Musenero.

In her statement, Ms Janet Museveni, the Minister of Education, said that she wrote to the Minister of Finance on September 02 to release capitation grants for Third Term to enable schools to prepare for reopening of candidate classes

‘’It has been brought to my attention that the capitation grants for Third Term 2020 were not released to the schools in July because the institutions were still closed. On account of the position taken in the above-stated meeting, this is, therefore, to request you to cause the release of funds to the beneficiary schools to prepare for the phased reopening of schools, “Ms Museveni’s letter read in part. 

Normally, during this time of the year, students are supposed to be reporting for the third term with candidates preparing for examinations which would begin around October. But, following the outbreak of the Covid-19 government has since not selected a proper plan to foresee a continuation of the learning programs.

However, a statement from the Minister of Education earlier this week pinpointed that there will not a be a dead year with students expected to return to school in different phases with students in other classes reporting two to three weeks after those in the candidate classes.

“It will be done in phases. Two or three weeks after candidates have reported, the ministry will assess the situation and if everything is fine, a second lot will be added, another one will also follow up. In the end, all students will be at school,” a statement from the Ministry read.

Minister of Education dead year schools reopen
Minister of Education earlier this week pinpointed that there will not a be a dead year with students expected to return to school in different phases. FILE PHOTO

Relatively, it stressed that the students will be going in for their second time which will be expected to end around mid- December and with the third term set to start around late January or early February.

Appropriately, if things go as expected students more so those in the candidate classes will be expected to write their final exams around March and April as the Ministry continues to slowly harmonize the academic year to fit into the calendar year.

“When schools reopen, the co-curricular activities will be temporarily suspended so that teachers concentrate on reintegrating learners into the school system, carry out remedial work and ensure that the syllabus is covered. There will be no examinations at the end of the second term,” added.

Earlier, about a letter dated September 01 from the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE), the government of the Republic of Uganda addressed itself to the fact that medical health interns provide significant services in hospitals and other health facilities. 

As a result, they had given only this group of people especially the current finalists offering Bachelors in Medical Surgery, Dental Surgery Midwifery, Nursing, Pharmacy and Allied Medical Professionals including those finalists undertaking medical diploma courses among others a go-ahead to complete their programmes as soon as possible to support the Covid-19 Taskforce but the NCHE executive director Prof Mary Okwakol on Monday said that there will be an education gap.