Museveni Masaka murder victims families (1)
President Museveni met Tuesday with relatives of those killed by machete-wielding groups. PHOTO/TWITTER

On Tuesday, President Museveni met and commiserated with families whose loved ones were killed by machete-wielding groups that have been terrorizing people in Masaka and Lwengo for the past two weeks.

President Museveni Tuesday met and commiserated with families that lost their loved ones to machete-wielding groups that have been harming and killing people in districts of Masaka and Lwengo for the past two weeks.

“I met and commiserated with families that lost relatives in the senseless attacks by the cowardly pigs being called the Bijambiya gang,” Museveni said.

He also made a contribution of shs10 million to each of the 25 families that were reportedly victims of the attacks. The latest information from the police indicates that up to 26 people were killed and many were also left injured by these disgruntled groups.

Addressing the media on Monday, Fred Enanga the police spokesperson said 23 of the suspects they arrested have since admitted to having a hand in the vicious murders.

Enanga said during the course of last week, a total of 12 suspects were charged in court for murder and related conspiracies. An additional 11 suspects are pending court after their case files were sanctioned. 

Speaking about this, Museveni indicated that some of the suspects were arrested because, in all households they attacked, they left strong indicators and evidence.

“Some have been arrested because they left all sorts of clues that we are following. The message to these cowards is that we shall get all of you,” Museveni said. 

On their side, however, the affected group led by one Mary Goretti Nkwanzi said that the imposition of the 7 pm curfew has made it possible for the attackers to attack them at night without public notice.

“The closure of schools has seen many youths resort to using drugs and drinking alcohol and it is some of these who terrorise us. Lack of electricity has given opportunity to bad elements to hide under the cover of darkness whereas youth unemployment has also made susceptible to criminal acts,” Nkwanzi told Museveni.

In response, however, the president argued that curfew was reinstated to help contain the surge in rising COVID-19 infections. 

He said if government rushes to minimise all these guidelines yet the biggest population of Ugandans is not yet vaccinated, the situation might even get worse.

“We put curfew to stop illness but we can stop people from defending themselves. Many people died including Bishop Kagwa, Ms Mubanda (Freda Mubanda Kasse) and Ssentongo among others. 

We have lost about 3000 people although other countries have lost more. If we open up before people get vaccinated, we shall have more issues,” the president said.