Ofwono Opondo has been reappointed as Executive Director of the Uganda Media Center until 2025 by President Yoweri Museveni.
President Yoweri Museveni has reappointed Ofwono Opondo as the Executive Director of the Uganda Media Center for the next three years, up to 2025.
“In exercise of the powers vested in me under Article 172 (2) of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda I have renewed the Contract of the Executive Director of UgandaMediaCentre,” Museveni wrote.
Opondo was first appointed to the position in May 2013, succeeding Fred Opolot on a three-year contract deputised by former army spokesman Lt. Col. Shaban Bantariza.
In 2016, he was reappointed to the position for another three years now his contract was done in 2022, and it has been renewed for another three years up to 2025.
Speaking about his reappointment, Opondo said he is grateful for the opportunity to continue serving in the same position.
“@KagutaMuseveni has reappointed me as #ExecutiveDirector @UgandaMediaCent for 3 yrs from July 2022. Am grateful for his continued trust in me & look forward to working with colleagues in @GovUganda in serving the public better,” he tweeted.
The Uganda Media Centre was established in September 2005 by President Museveni with a mission to facilitate the meeting of communication and information needs of the government and the people in order to achieve social, political and economic transformation.
The institution operates outside ordinary public service structures. Among other objectives, the Media Centre exists to provide professional media and communication services to government departments.
It also plays a role in generating information for dissemination to the public. The MC also works to standardize government communication and ensure the government is fairly and objectively represented in the media.
Other objectives include;
- To have a better and clear appreciation of public information and government communication needs.
- To participate in the development and implementation of government communication information strategy
- To foster a positive communication environment between government and the media.
- To integrate the international marketing of Uganda into the broader communication strategy of government
- To establish Cabinet, MPs, Resident District Commissioners, Local Governments and our foreign missions as critical elements of government communication.
- Before becoming the full government spokesperson in2016, Ofwono Opondo served as the deputy spokesperson for the National Resistance Movement (NRM).