Askari Moses Angoriya jailed over Arnold Mugisha's death
Askari Moses Angoriya jailed over Arnold Mugisha's death

Security officer, Moses Angoriya jailed over Quality supermarket shootings.

The magistrates’ court in Kira, Wakiso district has confined Moses Angoriya, a security guard at Quality Supermarket in Naalya who was reported to have shot dead Anorld Ainebyona Mugisha, a businessman.

Angoriya who appeared before the magistrates’ court on 11th July was charged with one count of murder contrary to section 188 and 189 of the Penal Code Act.

The prosecution alleged that Moses Ongoriya on July 9, 2019, at Quality Shopping village, Naalya, Namugongo division, Kira Municipality in Wakiso district with malice aforethought unlawfully killed Arnold Ainebyoona.

Kira Grade one magistrate Joan Aciro did not allow him to take plea because the court does not have jurisdiction to try capital offences and remanded the suspect to Luzira prison until July 26, 2019.

Angoriya was first brought to court in a dire situation including vomiting which prompted the magistrate to order police to first take him to hospital for treatment.

He was later returned to the dock and charges read to him and remanded.

A few of his relatives were at court before he was driven off to Luzira. Mugisha, who was the proprietor of Kololo-based Hickory Bar and Restaurant was shot dead on 9th July at Quality Supermarket in Naalya.

According to the Police’s statement, the deceased came with two colleagues to the supermarket for shopping.

The deceased remained in the car and after shopping one of them released a trowry which knocked one of the cars in the parking which called for the ‘Askari’s’ attention.

One security guard identified as Babu Aweza reprimanded the group but they were unwilling to take it in. They refused to heed to his pleas to stop and address the issue with the owner of the other car.

Police said that in the process of reversing, the deceased crushed ‘Askari’ Babu’s leg which infuriated another guard on duty identified as Moses Angoria who ran to his sentry box and picked up his SAR gun and shot the deceased at his mouth while he was on his car steering.

The colleagues then rushed the deceased to Independent hospital Ntinda where he was confirmed dead.

Meanwhile, the police statement also noted that the CCTV cameras at the supermarket could not show the scene but rather eyewitnesses gave them an account of the incident.

By John Dalton Kigozi