Gulu University final year students to be tested for COVID-19 before semester commences.
Gulu University final year students will be stressed to testing for the deadly coronavirus disease COVID-19 before allowing them access to the university premises when the semester resumes.
During his recent address to the nation, President Museveni directed the reopening of schools from 4th June allowing only finalists at each level of education to resume their studies.
With worries that this reopening might create a background for further infections, several schools, universities and institutions of learning have come up with protocols to be observed as a way of controlling the spread of the virus.
Gulu University is not left out after clarifications that it is going to stress all student returnees to mandatory COVID-19 testing ahead of semester commence in June.
According to the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Dr Felix Kaducu, the University has embarked on its plans to conduct online scientific surveys which will be answered by the students in a bid to get a hint of their health status.
Dr Kaducu said that every student will be presented their health results upon arrival and only those with high temperatures will have their samples taken for further research in the labs.
“Only students presenting high temperatures would have their samples taken for a lab analysis which will eventually reduce the cost of testing on the health ministry,” Dr Kaducu said during the District Task Force meeting on Thursday.
Bishop Loum Janani, the In-Charge of Integrated Case Management at Gulu Regional Referral Hospital pinpointed that many of their students come from all angles of this country and as a result, it might pose a danger for new COVID-19 cases in case these students are not tested earlier enough.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education is yet to release actual dates when the schools and universities should be expected to resume operations but following President Museveni’s recent address to the nation, all eyes are set on June.
The President said earlier that lifting of the lockdown was tied down to the distribution of masks countrywide. He said it is now compulsory for every single individual to wear a mask once in public.
As a result, he allowed private car and a few business owners to resume works from 26 May provided they wear masks and the private cars should not exceed three people.
Among others, Museveni said that the public cars will also start operating from 2nd May carrying half the total number of passengers and provided they all wear masks.
Up to 1.5 million school-going children are expected to resume studies under the new eased measures however it is still unclear whether they will all be required to wear masks while at school.
Global researchers on COVID-19 have hinted that a big population can lay even favourable grounds for the spread of the novel coronavirus.