MBARARA UNIVERSITY (MUST)
P.O BOX 1410, Mbarara Uganda
Email: [email protected].
Mbarara University of Science and Technology also known as MUST lies on the banks of the scenic meandering Rwizi River a tributary of Lake Victoria in Mbarara Municipality along Kabale high way, 286 kilometres Southwest of Kampala, the capital city of Uganda.
As one of main Rivers in the region, Rwizi is a source of water for thousands of local people and their livestock.
Snaking through the famous hills of South-western Uganda, the Rwizi was always a beautiful river that brought pride to the people in the area due to its sky blue waters and the purpose they served. Today the Rwizi waters are brown because of sedimentation.
MUST is a thriving residential campus and community where students live in ‘villages’. On campus are two halls of residence popularly referred to as the Gents and Ladies flats.
The rest of the students’ population live around the university campus in private but accredited hostel facilities by the Dean of students’ office in collaboration with the Mbarara District Police Station.
Learning and living are intimately intertwined at MUST. Extracurricular activities, professional student associations and clubs, performances, forums and sports and games beckon students as well as the communities around the university.
The student’s government known as the Guild government is a melting pot of young and ambitious leaders who seek for democratic mandate and offer leadership on behalf of the student’s population.
The student’s Guild mission is to improve the quality of students’ life at the university, both academically and socially by addressing students need and concerns, providing financial structure for student’s clubs and organisations and representing the student’s body in a professional manner.
There are also a number of well-known and established student activities, such as Kina MUST, Cultural gala, Bazaar, Freshmen and Fresh women ball that add to the unique tradition and experience of being a student at MUST.
MUST is a public university also accredited by the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE) in Uganda. It commenced student’s intake and instruction in 1989. It is one of the eight public universities and degree-awarding institutions in the country.
Over the years MUST won acclaimed national and international recognition for best practices outreach and community relations from Association of Common Wealth Universities, European Union, Civil Society of Uganda, for producing the best development workers and health care professionals.
Mbarara University has two campuses and these include;
The Mbarara Campus located in Mbarara town, along Mbarara-Kabale Highway, approximately 266 kilometres Southwest of Kampala, Uganda’s capital and largest city.
While Kihumuro campus is in the suburb of Kihumuro, approximately 7 kilometres by road, west of Mbarara’s Central business district along Mbarara-Bushenyi highway.
The campus sits on 129hectares (340 acres) of land, away from city noise once construction is completed, it will house all university facilities and institutes except the college of Health Science, which will remain at the Mbarara campus.
Government of Uganda has so far spent Ush5billion (approximately US$2million) of its money on the construction. It has also secured a US$12million loan from the African Development Bank to move the construction along.
Must was founded in 1989 to address the shortage of scientists in Uganda and to instil a sense of community service in its students.
Courses offered at MUST
MUST offers a variety of courses ranging from PhD, Masters, Postgraduate Diplomas, Undergraduate, Diplomas and Certificate Courses in different Faculties and Institutes’.
Faculties and Institutes at MUST
As of January 2016, MUST has the following Faculties and Institutes
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Applied Sciences and Technology
- Faculty of Computing and Informatics
- Institutes of Tropical Forest Conservation
- Institute of Interdisciplinary Training and Research
- Doctor of Philosophy in Development Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy in Physics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics
- Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry
- Doctor of Philosophy in Biology
- Masters in Development Studies
- Master of Arts in Local Governance & Planning
- Master of Science in Biochemistry
- Master of Science in Mathematics
- Master of Science in Biology
- Master of Science in Anaesthesiology
- Master of Medicine in General Surgery
- Master of Medicine in ENT
- Master of Medicine in Dermatology
- Master Medicine in Ophthalmology
- Master of Medicine in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Master of Medicine in Pathology & Forensic Medicine
- Master of Medicine in Community Practice and Family Medicine
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Nursing Science
- Master of Science in Anatomy
- Master of Science in Pharmacology
- Master of Science in Microbiology
- Master of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Master of Medicine in Internal Medicine
- Master of Science in Chemistry
- Master of Science in Physics
- Master of Education in Planning & Management
- Master of Science in clinical Psychology
- Master of Education in Psychology
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Media Studies
- Master of Science in Education (Educational Psychology)
Postgraduate Diploma in Development Studies (offered evening only)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Physical)
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Biological)
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Chem/Math)
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Bachelor of Biomedical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering and Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Procurement and Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Livelihoods and Farm Production
- Bachelor of Science in Gender and Applied Women Health
- Bachelor of Science in Planning and Community Development
- Diploma in Science Laboratory Technology
- Diploma in Emergency Medicine
- Diploma in Counselling
- Advanced Diploma in Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Entrepreneurship and Business Development Techniques
- Budgetary Management and Expenditure Control Practices
- Financial Management and Accounting for non-financial Managers
- Stores and Materials Control Management
- Procurement and Supply Chain Management
- Debt Management and Control
- Credit and Financial Analysis
- SACCO Management Improvement
- Marketing and Skills Improvement
- Effective Contract Management
- Managing the Tendering Process
- Supplier Relationship Management
- Customer Care and Cliental Retention
- Audit and Fraud Prevention
- Managing Risks in Organisational Operations
- Public Procurement Management
- Contract Management in Local & Municipal Governments
- Logistics and Physical Distribution Management
- Managing Meetings in Organisations
- Files and Records Management
- Risk Mitigation and Insurance
- Customs Clearing and Forwarding
- Effective Local Revenue Mobilisation
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Certificate in Science Laboratory Technology
Intakes in a year
- January, April & May intakes
Graduations held in a year
- Once a year usually in October