In the 11th Parliament, the National Unity Platform (NUP) party vice president for Buganda Mathias Mpuuga was named leader of the opposition.
The National Unity Platform (NUP) party Vice President for Buganda Region Mathias Mpuuga has been appointed the Leader of Opposition in the 11th Parliament.
This was announced during the party meeting that was held on Friday, Among others, the NUP party which is now the biggest opposition political party in the 11th parliament announced the Manjiya county legislator, John Baptist Nambeshe as the Opposition Chiefwhip in parliament replacing devastated Kira municipality MP Ibrahim Ssemujju Nganda of FDC.
Others including the Mityana Municipality legislator Zaake Francis Mutebi was named the Parliament Commissioner replacing FDC’s Francis Mwijukye while Nakawa West MP Joel Ssenyonyi becomes chairman COSASE (Committee on Commissions, Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises) which was initially under FDC’s Mubarak Munyagwa.
NUP however, is also in consultation to form a shadow cabinet and fill the other positions and the leadership of the four accountability committees including the Public Accounts Committee (PAC), Committee on Commissions Statutory Authorities and State Enterprises (COSASE), Local Government Accounts Committee (LGAC), and Committee on Government Assurances.
Meanwhile, the NUP Secretary-General David Lewis Rubongoya said they will use the positions available to them to further enhance their struggle to attaining freedom.
“NUP has consistently informed the nation that it will take all the leadership positions available to it, and use them to advance the strife for freedom and democracy in Uganda,” Rubongoya said.
Below is the full list:
- Leader of Opposition in Parliament– Mathias Mpuuga (Nyendo Mukungwe)
- Opposition chief whip – John-Baptiste Nambeshe (Manjiya county)
- Deputy chief opposition whip – Manjeri Kyebakutika (Jinja City Woman MP)
- Commissioner of Parliament – Francis Zaake Butebi (Mityana Municipality)
- Chairperson, Public accounts committee– (Medard Lubega Segona (Busiro East)
- Vice-chairperson, public accounts committee – Asuman Basalirwa (Bugiri Municipality)
- Chairperson COSASE – Joel Ssenyonyi (Nakawa West)
- Vice Chairperson, COSASE – Lucy Akello (Amuru District Woman MP)
- Chairperson, Government Assurances – Betty Nambooze Bakireke (Mukono Municipality)
- Vice Chairperson, GAC – Joseph Gonzaga Sewungu (Kalungu County West)
- Chairperson, Local Government Accounts committee – Martin Ojara Mapenduzi (Bardeg-Layibi constituency, Gulu District)
- Vice Chairperson, Local Government Accounts committee – Paulson Luttamaguzi Ssemakula (Nakaseke South County)
- Representative, Pan-African parliament – Patrick Nsamba Oshabe (Kassanda County North)
- Representative, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association – David Kalwanga Lukyamuzi (Busujju County)
- Representative, Inter-Parliamentary union – Flavia Kalule Nabagabe (Kassanda District Woman MP)
- Parliamentary Pension Fund – Aisha Kabanda (Butambala District Woman MP)