Secondary schools conducting admissions to post-primary without the government’s consent are doing it illegally according to the Minister of Primary Education, Dr Joyce Moriku Kaducu.
The State Minister for Primary Education, Dr Joyce Moriku Kaducu has issued a strong warning to secondary schools conducting post-primary admissions that they are doing it illegally without the government’s consent.
On Friday last week, the Education Ministry released the results for the 2020 Primary Leaving Examinations however, just a few days since the release, a number of secondary schools have started conducting online admissions for students to register with them as their students from senior one.
Notably, a circular from Mbarara High School involving the school head, Ham Ahimbisibwe has since made rounds on various social media handles calling on parents to follow a few guidelines issued by the school and start booking senior one slots.
However, while addressing the media on Tuesday in response to the happening, Dr Moriku said they have received information that some schools have started calling on parents whose students are eligible to apply for vacancies in S.1.
But warned that the act is illegal and that government besides the release of the exams, they have not given any authorisation to schools to conduct online registration.
“Barely a week after the release of the Primary Leaving Examinations (PLE) results, we have received information that some secondary schools have started requesting parents whose students are eligible to apply for vacancies in S.1 using online platforms,” Moriku said.
“The education ministry has not pronounced itself on online registration/ selection, and those schools who are calling parents (be private, be gov’t schools) who are trying to use the online for filling forms, and getting money from parents are doing it illegally and should stop.”
She, in addition, reminded parents that before admissions come at stake, the government is still discussing the criteria under which schools will be reopened then this is when the issues of admissions can come in and how they will be done.
“The government is discussing the modalities for reopening schools which will be guided by the scientific evidence on the current situation of the Covid19 in the country. Importantly we want to ensure that all the teachers are vaccinated against Covid-19 before reopening of schools,” Moriku added.
Meanwhile, while giving an address at the release of the examinations last week, First Lady Janet Museveni said the government has not yet discussed plans on when and how they are going to reopen the schools and institutions of learning.
“I do not want to talk about something we are not confident about. The decision of closing or reopening schools is not made by my ministry alone. The decisions can only be made by the government after they have been discussed by Cabinet. It is premature to say we will open at this time. To me, I cannot say there is a time we shall open, but in the near future, we shall,” she said.