Nagirinya murder: President Museveni commands sacking of Police Officers in charge of Nateete CCTV Command centre over criminal negligence
Following Maria Nagirinya murder, an NGO staff at CIDI based in Muyenga, a Kampala suburb and her driver Ronald Kitayimbwa’s kidnap and subsequent killing.
President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has issued a directive to have all Police Officers in charge of the temporary command centre in Nateete sacked.
In a post via his Social Media platforms, President Museveni said that he has found out that there was total neglect by the Police Officers controlling Nateete CCTV Camera command centre, after a briefing he received on Nagirinya murder case.
“Take the case of Nagirinya. When she was kidnapped, the relatives, immediately, informed the Police of Kibumbiro Police post at Nateete, by about 00:43 hours. The officer there should have informed all the Police units and patrol cars and the Camera centres about the type of the car that had been hi-jacked. The cameras than would track and they would have been arrested or killed before they abandoned the car at Nateete, after dumping the bodies of the victims in Mukono.”
President Museveni stretched out that, he was informed by a Police officer at Kibumbiro Police Post in Busega, that she attempted to contact the 999 police patrol truck, but the commander failed to pick up the phone call immediately and later picked up 50mins passed midnight.
“What is this- criminal negligence or collusion? Whatever it was, we are slowly moving forward. On account of the cameras and other technical means, we are now able to know who did not do this work. The Policemen in the camera centres were asleep, only waking up to “relatives” pictures from the memory of the camera,” said President Museveni.
Nevertheless, he said that Nateete CCTV command centre Police crew do not deserve working in that place, something he called rubbish.
According to Museveni, the Police Officers are meant to be an alert watching the live feed of these CCTV cameras, transfer the information to 999 patrol vehicles for them to act immediately! Without any delay, which they failed to do.
“You are not only supposed to retrieve pictures that happened some hours ago. You are supposed to watch live and tell the patrol vehicles to act promptly.”
“All these have been arrested. I have directed that all involved must be tried, sentenced, punished, and dismissed from the Police. Moreover, they should never work in any government department ever, again.”
Nagirinya aged 28 and Kitayibwa were abducted last months at her residence entrance, in Lungujja Wakiso District while waiting for her Sister to open the gate for her and later murdered in cold blood.
Their bodies were later found dumped in a swamp in Nakitutuli Village in Mukono District and her car abandoned in Nateete, a Kampala suburb.
However, according to Nagirinya’s family, they contacted Police to help them track the kidnappers using the CCTV cameras installed around the City, but Police kept them up and down.
President Museveni’s remarks come after a joint force of both the Police and the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI) arrested three prime suspects in the kidnap and subsequent murder of Nagirinya and her driver Kitayimbwa including the Man who featured in the CCTV pictures driving Nagirinya’s Toyota Spacio car.
The three suspects were arrested after a Police raid in Nateete, Mabiito club.
However, on Monday 9 September, the suspects were taken around Kampala under tight Police convoy checking their hideouts, where they stayed and planned their mission.
And in this raid, Police recovered Kitayimbwa’s sim card in one of their hideouts.
“We found a mobile phone sim card of Kitayimbwa in one of the suspect’s house. We also discovered that the suspects had withdrawn money from the mobile phones of the victims. The investigation is on how they did it since they had no passwords. We are going to reach out to the telecom companies,” Fred Enanga, Police Spokesperson said.
Eventually, after Police interrogation, the suspects confessed that they were paid 1m shilling which they divided among the seven who executed the mission with each one of them walking away with 130,000 shillings.
So far, the number of suspects arrested has risen to six, including boda boda cyclists who transported the suspects to Nagirinya’s residence at that fateful night.
And according to Police Spokesperson, Fred Enanga they are going to take the suspects fingerprints, take them to forensic experts and match them with those found on Nagirinya’s car to come up with a conclusive report on the suspected killers.
Enanga also said that;
“The man who was captured by our CCTV camera driving the victim’s vehicle is among those arrested. We recovered the red jacket he was wearing on that day. It is being subjected to forensic examination, to compare it with the particles that were found in the abandoned car,” said Enanga.
Enanga adds that seven people are in Police custody on charges of obstruction of Officers on duty because they attempted to block access to the key suspects in this murder case.